22e Année - N°235
Mars/March 98
38 rue des Eburons - 1000 Bruxelles
Tél: (32-2) 215 35 76 - Fax: (32-2) 215 58 60
 Rédacteur en chef: Dogan Özgüden - Editrice responsable: Inci Tugsavul


 After 27 years from the March 12, 1971 ultimatum, the Turkish Armed Forces issued on March 20, 1998, a very harsh and threatening ultimatum in response to Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz's anti-military remarks, stating that they would not allow any person, no matter what position he represents, to weaken the military.
 Following the latest controversy between Yilmaz and the military, Chief of General Staff Gen. Ismail Hakki Karadayi met with other armed forces leaders on March 20 to discuss the recent situation. Land Forces Commander Gen. Huseyin Kivrikoglu, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Salim Dervisoglu, Air Force Chief Gen. Ilhan Kilic and Gendarmerie Forces Commander Gen. Fikret Boztepe took part in the meeting.
 The commanders issued a written statement after the meeting reiterating that the military has remained loyal to all governments that have been in power in Turkey and welcomes their success.
 "...but, no matter what position or task is represented, no one, for the sake of his personal interest or aspirations, can display an attitude or make any suggestion or comment that will discourage, confuse, weaken or overshadow the determination
of the Turkish Armed Forces to struggle against separatist or fundamentalist activities that target the country's security. The TSK also believes that the continuation of such discussions will harm the country's democratic structure and national interests," reads the military's statement.
 The commanders said in the statement that the TSK does not constitute a threat, but a safeguard, adding that the institution has not acted in any manner that would shake the nation's confidence.
 The statement also said the TSK would continue to fight against terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism. "The fight against terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism is the duty of everyone in this country who wants to live freely and independently," the statement read.
 Prime Minister Yilmaz has called the other coalition leaders to a summit to take place on March 22, in order to redesign a strategy in the face of new tensions and amid calls by the CHP to withdraw support from the government. Yilmaz had called a summit among the coalition leaders previously on Jan. 3, in order to soften their displeasure when he unilaterally declared that the government would not increase prices for six months and told American officials in Washington that Turkey might withdraw its full membership application to the European Union (EU). Yet another summit held by Yilmaz was to discuss the infamous Susurluk report prepared by the Prime Ministry Inspection Board.
 In this third summit on Sunday, he will determine with his coalition partners joint strategies towards Baykal's warning and tense relations with the military.
 It is expected that the precautions against emerging Islamic fundamentalism will be discussed during the next National Security Council (MGK) meeting on Mar. 27. The coalition leaders will also include the MGK meeting in their discussion topics. The leaders will prepare a response to complaints by the military which found the government "insufficient" to fight the problems of  fundamentalism. That response will also clarify whether the government will or will not approve the military's own "necessary measures" package. Yilmaz earlier said that the military cannot impose its will on the government.


 KEMAL BALCI, Turkish Probe,March 29, 1998
 The pantomime which Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz played out on the flight to Tbilisi is proving very costly. Yilmaz's recent statements have increased the tension with the military and he now seems to have lost the power struggle. The military process which began a year ago is now operating much more rapidly and comprehensively.
 When Mesut Yilmaz, who came to power with the aim of leading the struggle against reactionary movements, subsequently ignored what the military consider the country's most important problem, they gave him a very harsh warning. Since Yilmaz has lost his civilian and military supporters one after the other, the remaining life span of the government will be determined by a censure motion that may be signed by Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Deniz Baykal. The government rushed to formulate its "struggle against fundamentalism" program to please the military, but they remained dissatisfied with it and put the issue on the agenda of the National Security Council (MGK).
 The military concluded that the government had failed in the struggle against fundamentalism and started giving briefings on the issue to "powerful circles," as it had during the period of Welfarepath coalition rule. These briefings, which were extended to President Suleyman Demirel, irritated Prime Minister Yilmaz, who felt that the military must take a back seat to the civilian government. His series of speeches were an attempt to affirm the government's power vis-a-vis the military.
 Yilmaz's first statement was that he had given no order to the General Staff to fight fundamentalism. The prime minister's statement called for the abolishment of the West Working Group, a unit which was formed last year by the armed forces to combat fundamentalism. Later, Yilmaz gave a tough speech to his party's parliamentary group to express his displeasure and added, "If coercion arises in the meeting of the MGK on March 27, it will be by me, not the military." This very serious statement by Yilmaz was printed in Hurriyet and Milliyet newspapers, which supported him, as big, flashy headlines -- "Return to Barracks Message."  Other political players took part in the power struggle between Yilmaz and the military. Yilmaz used pantomime to convey to three reporters en route to Georgia recently that the background cause of the tension with the military is the coming period of military appointments and promotions that are scheduled to be determined next August. Yilmaz told reporters that Deputy Chief of General Staff Gen. Cevik Bir wants a one-year extension of present Chief of General Staff Gen. Ismail Hakki Karadayi's term in office. Yilmaz's "silent" explanation of the background to the recent tensions caused a furor in military circles.  CHP leader Deniz Baykal, who has supported the government from the outside, increased the tension by making statements that "the life span of this government is over." On the other hand, Yilmaz was given support by the Virtue Party (FP), which was founded by the members of now-closed Welfare Party (RP), and the Motherland Party (ANAP)'s longtime rival, the True Path Party (DYP). When the FP declared that it was against the formation of an interim regime, DYP's leader Tansu Ciller unexpectedly offered ANAP an unconditional election alliance.
 Yilmaz continued his strategy of increasing the tension and published the full text of his speech in Sabah newspaper. In his speech, Yilmaz said, "We are walking through a mine field" and stressed that the military was subject to civilian authority. Yilmaz argued in this speech that combatting fundamentalism was the job of the government and insisted that he had not given the job of fighting fundamentalism to the military.
 Military circles simply observed Yilmaz's harsh statements for a while. Meanwhile, President Suleyman Demirel, who was very uncomfortable with the situation, said that "the government cannot struggle with its own army." Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges' (TOBB) Chairman Fuat Miras invited everyone to remain calm. Military officials expressed their displeasure in conversations with journalists, emphasizing that: "We do not want a coup, we are loyal to democracy. But no one can stop us in our struggle against fundamentalism."
 Yilmaz then organized a third summit with the leaders of two other coalition parties who were concerned about Yilmaz's debate with the military, to explain his position. While awaiting steps by Yilmaz to ease the tension, Chief of General Staff Gen. Ismail Hakki Karadayi gathered together land forces commander Gen. Huseyin Kivrikoglu, naval forces commander Adm. Salim Dervisoglu, air force commander Gen. Ilhan Kilic and gendarmerie commander Fikret Boztapa and they discussed the situation for five hours. This meeting was followed by a three-page statement called the March 20 declaration.
 The declaration said that the military was loyal to republican governments and pleased with their achievements but stated: "....but, no matter what position or task is represented, no one, for the sake of his personal interest or aspirations, can display an attitude or make any suggestion or comment that will discourage, confuse, weaken or overshadow the determination of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) to struggle against separatist or fundamentalist activities that target the country's security. The TSK also believes that the continuation of such discussions will harm the country's democratic structure and national interest."
 By reminding Yilmaz that the struggle against fundamentalism is the army's constitutional mission, the military gave a tough answer to Yilmaz who had said "I did not order the army to struggle against fundamentalism." The military's declaration was a political bombshell and Yilmaz could only reply that, "The military leaders are displaying a democratic reaction."
 The warning from the military led to tense hours in Mesut Yilmaz's house. When Minister of Public Works Yasar Topcu joked that "the soldiers have prepared our cells. They say these cells have toilets and bathrooms," the prime minister's advisor, Erhan Goksel, assaulted him. This led some to question how Erhan Goksel could listen to a supposedly private conversation in Yilmaz's room. Sources say that the prime minister's wife, Berna Yilmaz, interrupted the fight and took Goksel out of the room.
 The tension increased the negative expectations concerning the government's life span. Yilmaz gave himself one more day to consult with DSP's leader Bulent Ecevit and DTP's leader Husamettin Cindoruk before taking action.
 At the summit of the coalition party leaders, Yilmaz was criticized for becoming involved in a debate with the military without asking the advice of the two other leaders. Yilmaz decided to abandon his power struggle with the military and declared, "I was misunderstood." Yilmaz persuaded his partners to accept tactics to stay in power until August, the time for promotions and appointments in the army. Observers feel that Yilmaz wants to remain in the Military Council as prime minister to ensure that Deputy Chief of General Staff Cevik Bir retires.
 Following the summit meeting of the coalition partners, Yilmaz issued a statement accepting that everyone was responsible for the struggle against fundamentalism. Thus, Yilmaz retreated one step backwards. Yilmaz approved, though indirectly, the general staff's position and set out a package of measures to combat fundamentalism. Before his retreat, Yilmaz asked for the advice of the media bosses who supported him. Aydin Dogan, who owns the Milliyet, Hurriyet, Radikal and Posta newspapers and Kanal-D television station, Dinc Bilgin, who owns the Sabah and Yeni Yuzyil newspapers and the ATV television station and representatives of other newspapers were present at the dinner. Moreover, Yilmaz met with one of Turkey's most important businessman, Rahmi Koc.
 Although the Cabinet accepted a very inclusive packet against fundamentalism, the military leaders are dissatisfied because the measures still have to be passed by Parliament. They regarded the package as a delaying tactic since the present government has difficulty in passing even a single draft bill quickly in Parliament. The military leaders are dissatisfied with the measures since it would be very difficult for the package to be passed by Parliament.
 While Yilmaz is trying to buy time, the military leaders continue to regard reactionary movements as the primary threat and danger to the nation. Contrary to expectations, the government has failed to fight fundamentalism seriously because of political interests and the fear of losing votes. In turn, the military leaders have put this issue on the agenda of National Security Council's (MGK) March 27 meeting. The attitude of the government led to a change in the positions of the five largest nongovernmental organizations which helped bring Yilmaz to power. By inviting the government to take serious steps to combat fundamentalism, the chairmen of employers, employees and tradesmen's organizations indicated that they were withdrawing the support which they gave one year ago to the government.
 While the military process continues at maximum speed, two options remain for Mesut Yilmaz and Turkish politics. It has become impossible for Yilmaz's coalition government to stay in power until the year 2000, as he had declared at the beginning of the coalition rule. Put aside the next one or two years, it is not even certain that this government can stay in power for the next one or two months. For that reason, the government will either pass a law to hold elections this coming autumn or will opt to stay in power using all available opportunities. If Yilmaz adopts the first option, it will be necessary to set up an election government for this summer. CHP's leader Deniz Baykal, who supports the government, showed that he backed this option by proposing an election in September.
 If Yilmaz does not accept the election option and strives to stay in power, very dangerous developments may transform the political tensions into social tensions and these developments can threaten the very system, not simply the current government. Some predict that the Yilmaz government, which finds it difficult to prevent street demonstrations even at the present time, may regret it if it insists on staying in power, because of the possible developments. But there is concern that if the government resigns without making a decision to hold elections, the same dangerous developments may arise. It is almost impossible to form a strong government under the current rules. According to the constitution, if a government cannot be formed in 45 days to replace a government that resigns, it will be possible for President Suleyman Demirel to dissolve the Parliament and form a 90-day election government. But no one wants to think what the military's reaction might be to the vacuum of power that would result.
 Yilmaz is almost encouraging CHP's leader Deniz Baykal to topple the government in Parliament. He is aiming at getting rid of the image that he abandoned the coalition. However, the CHP does not want to be the party that is responsible for toppling the government before it is clear what the structure of a new government would be. For that reason, the CHP is preparing to put forward censure motions to topple certain ministers, in particular the minister of tourism, instead of toppling the government itself. In this way, the CHP wants to push Mesut Yilmaz to his inevitable end. Yilmaz will either resign or lose on of his ministers every week.
 The military process, which started 13 months ago on Feb. 28, is continuing and making itself felt more day by day. Putting an end to this process, which may lead to the militarization of politics, is only possible if Parliament votes to hold new elections.


 Les velléités d'autonomie du Premier ministre turc n'ont duré que quelques jours. Il a suffi aux généraux turcs une réunion à l'état-major et un communiqué musclé pour que M. Yilmaz rentre dans le rang et renonce à ses velléités de demander à l'armée de "s'occuper de ses affaires" et de laisser le gouvernement traiter le problème des activités islamistes. Finalement M. Yilmaz a dû déclarer publiquement que "le gouvernement de coalition estime qu'il n'y a pas de divergences entre le cabinet et les militaires" dans la lutte contre l'extrémisme religieux.
 Cédant à la pression, le Premier ministre a annoncé lundi 23 mars une série de mesures, dont un projet de nouvelle législation pour contrôler les activités des institutions soupçonnées de soutenir les islamistes et une surveillance plus étroite des émissions de radios et télévisions privées. Selon le projet, un organisme gouvernemental, le Département des affaires religieuses détiendra le pouvoir exclusif d'autoriser la construction des nouvelles mosquées; les peines de contravention aux lois sur les tenues dans la fonction publique devraient être alourdies et la loi sur les manifestations serait modifiée.
 Jeudi 26 mars, le général Ismail Hakki Karadayi, chef d'état-major des armées a rencontré le Premier ministre turc, après s'être entretenu avec les quatre plus hauts commandants militaires du pays, pour "faire le point sur la situation". A l'issue de cette visite, M. Yilmaz a affirmé que la tension étant désormais dissipée et que civils et militaires sont sur la même longueur d'ondes.
 Après ces préliminaires, la réunion du vendredi 27 mars, tant attendue que redoutée, du tout puissant Conseil national de sécurité (MGK) s'est déroulée "normalement". Le MGK a annoncé que "dans la lutte contre les mouvements religieux réactionnaires qui visent à abattre le régime laïc, les lois existantes doivent être appliquées sans concession et de nouvelles lois doivent être rapidement adoptées par le parlement". L'armée insiste sur une purge de tous les hauts responsables d'obédience islamiste infiltrés au sein de l'État, principalement au ministère de la Justice. D'ores et déjà, cinq sous-préfets ont été déférés en justice pour activités fondamentalistes et deux préfets et 73 sous-préfets feraient l'objet d'une enquête conduite par une commission spéciale créée au sein du ministère de l'Intérieur. Selon l'armée, "37 gouverneurs de province sur 80 et 200 sous-préfets (en fonction actuellement) sont des partisans notoires de la charria (loi coranique)". Mardi 31 mars, trois maires turcs ont été destitués par le ministère de l'Intérieur pour activités fondamentalistes et déférés devant la justice, dans le cadre de cette opération d'épuration. Le maire islamiste d'Istanbul, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, poursuivi pour "provocation explicite du peuple à la haine par discrimination religieuse, raciale ou régionale", passible de cinq ans de prison, comparaissait le même jour devant la Cour de sûreté de l'État de Diyarbakir. Lors d'un discours en décembre dernier, il avait déclaré "les mosquées sont nos casernes, les minarets nos baïonnettes, les coupoles nos casques et les croyants nos soldats".
 Au cours de la réunion, un rapport a également été présenté sur les activités de Fethullah Gulen, l'influent chef d'une secte religieuse dont l'armée considère que le but à terme est d'aider à l'instauration d'un régime islamiste.
 Les partisans du Refah islamiste, dissous, à qui aucun acte de violence n'est reproché, dénoncent "la persécution" de leur sympathisants et "une croisade aux allures de chasse aux sorcières".
 Par ailleurs, le gouvernement turc a soumis au Parlement un projet de loi prévoyant l'instauration d'un système majoritaire à deux tours pour les élections municipales, ce qui devrait défavoriser fortement les candidats islamistes, qui avaient réussi à s'emparer de nombreuses mairies avec des suffrages ne dépassant pas les 25% aux dernières municipales en mars 1994.
 Le parti islamiste turc de la Vertu (Fazilet), crée en décembre à la suite de la dissolution pour activités contre le régime laïc par la Cour constitutionnelle, a critiqué les mesures annoncées par le gouvernement, les qualifiant "d'incompatibles avec un État moderne". Quant à Tansu Ciller, elle s'est contentée de ce commentaire lapidaire: "Le caporal Yilmaz est rentré dans le rang au premier coup de sifflet des généraux". (CILDEKTF, le 1/4/1998)


 Le Soir (Belgique), le 20 mars 1998
 S'il y en a un qui doit dicter [sa conduite] à qui que ce soit lors du prochain Conseil de sécurité nationale, ce sera moi!, assénait ce mardi Mesut Yilmaz, le Premier ministre turc. De petites phrases en petites phrases, la classe politique est en train de ruer dans les brancards et de protester de plus en plus ouvertement contre les ingérences de l'armée en politique.
  Traditionnellement, les forces armées turques ont toujours eu beaucoup d'influence sur la destinée du pays. Les généraux ont d'ailleurs conduit trois coups d'Etat depuis 1960. Le dernier en date, celui du 12 septembre 1980, a laissé quelques traces institutionnelles, dont ce fameux Conseil de sécurité nationale (MGK), aujourd'hui décrié par le Premier ministre.
  Composé du président de la République, du chef du gouvernement et des ministres de la Défense, de l'Intérieur et des Affaires étrangères pour les civils, du chef d'état-major et des commandants des quatre armes pour les militaires, ce Conseil se réunit une fois par mois et doit déterminer la politique de sécurit nationale. En fait, ses attributions sont suffisemment vagues pour englober toute la sphère politique, remarque Bölent Tanör, professeur de droit à Istanbul. Selon les textes, il s'agit d'assurer la sauvegarde des intérêts de l'Etat face aux menaces intérieures et extérieures. En pratique, le Conseil s'octroie un droit de regard sur tous les développements politiques, culturels ou sociaux, explique-t-il.
  Par ailleurs, et la constitution turque le spécifie: Les décisions du Conseil de sécurité national (...) sont prises en considération par le Conseil des ministres de manière prioritaire. En deux mots: c'est là que se situe l'âme du pouvoir en Turquie.
  Ce qui est en cause dans la présente crise? La lutte contre le fondamentalisme que les militaires reprochent au gouvernement de mener trop "mollement". Il y a un peu plus d'un an, le 28 février 1997, le MGK imposait en effet 18 mesures d'urgence pour lutter contre le fondamentalisme religieux au Premier ministre de l'époque, Necmettin Erbakan, un... islamiste. Incapable de mettre en oeuvre des injonctions visant son propre électorat, constamment sous la pression des militaires, Necmettin Erbakan finissait d'ailleurs par démissionner en juin dernier.
  L'équipe de Mesut Yilmaz, qui le remplace (c'est une coalition de deux partis de centre-droite et d'un parti de centre-gauche), a bien fait passer une loi rendant l'école obligatoire pendant huit ans. Un artifice destiné, en fait, à amputer le cursus des écoles pour imams prédicateurs, considérées comme un vivier de l'islam politique par les militaires. Depuis, les troupes de Mesut Yilmaz se sont bien gardées d'aller plus loin. Dernier exemple en date: le port du foulard. Une circulaire entendait interdire le port du foulard et de la barbe dans les universités. A la suite de quelques manifestations étudiantes - limitées et pacifiques -, le gouvernement a très vite fait machine arrière... au grand dam des militaires.
  C'est qu'entre-temps, le parti islamiste de Necmettin Erbakan (le plus important de l'assemblée) avait été dissous par la cour constitutionnelle, laissant orphelin un électorat conservateur que les partis de droite - et particulièrement celui de Mesut Yilmaz - entendent bien récupérer.
  Reste que le poids des militaires sur la vie politique demeure écrasant. L'édition de mardi du quotidien «Radikal» faisait état d'un rapport, préparé par les militaires en vue du prochain Conseil de sécurité nationale qui doit se dérouler le 27 mars. Selon le quotidien, ce rapport dresserait un parallèle entre la situation actuelle du pays et celle qui prévalait avant les coups de force de 1960 et 1980: Le gouvernement et l'opposition s'épuisant l'un l'autre en querelles inutiles. Toujours selon «Radikal», ce rapport conclurait que les partis et le système électoral existants devraient être révisés, de manière à permettre à un parti de centre-droite d'arriver au pouvoir. D'où ces rumeurs de mini-coup d'Etat qui circulent à Ankara... et la rebuffade des politiques.


 Turkish Daily News reports, March 18, 1998:
 In an unexpected challenge to the military, Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz has said that there is no possibility that the military will dictate its will at the next National Security Council (MGK) meeting. "I am the one who can dictate, no one else," he said.
 Yilmaz assessed the latest political development at his Motherland Party's (ANAP) parliamentary group meeting on Tuesday. Urging the military to "mind its own business," Yilmaz said the government will carry on the struggle against the emergent Islamic fundamentalists.
 The prime minister denied reports that the military will complain about the Islamic fundamentalist activities and criticize the government for its weak performance in struggling against them at the next MGK meeting which will take place on March 27.
 Yilmaz said he called the Higher Education Council (YOK) Chairman, Kemal Guruz, on the telephone, after he made a statement that headscarved students would not be allowed in universities. "I told him no law bans headscarves and his decision does not have any legal grounds."
 Prime Minister Yilmaz said the rumors about a coup were "groundless."
 Demirel briefed by military
 Meanwhile, President Suleyman Demirel went to the General Staff headquarters in Ankara to be briefed by military officials about the internal and external threats facing the country, including terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism.
 Demirel was admitted to the headquarters with a military ceremony and was met by the chief of the General Staff, Gen. Ismail Hakki Karadayi.
 The president earlier said that the weeklong discussions concerning a possible undemocratic intervention was an indicator of a disbelief in democracy. He said similar discussions were made several months ago. "I regret the restart of that debate," he said.
 FP's Kutan: 'Fundamentalism is not a new issue'
 The newly formed pro-Islamic movement, Virtue Party (FP) also complained about the recent discussions regarding the emergent fundamentalist threat and a possible military intervention.
 "Fundamentalism is not a new issue," the FP's parliamentary group chairman, Recai Kutan said at his party's parliamentary group meeting. He said the issue has been "popular" since the 1950s, and the law had not yet set any penal measure against fundamentalism.
 Kutan said that the law fails to describe fundamentalism, but people attribute the term to those they do not like. He said the struggle against fundamentalism should not be made a struggle against Muslims. He also accused those who make accusations of fundamentalism of actually intending to bring back the "oligarchic regime of the 1940," a reference to the single-party rule of the time, and he accused them of being the real "backwards" people.
 Kutan said Turkey has been looking for democracy for 90 years. He urged people against any provocative actions that would endanger democracy.


 Sept dirigeants de HADEP, poursuivis devant la Cour de Sûreté de l'État d'Ankara, risquent 22 ans et 6 mois de prison chacun, selon l'article 168-1 du code pénal turc. Les autorités les accusent de "constituer la branche politique du Parti des Travailleurs du Kurdistan (PKK)". L'acte d'accusation souligne que "malgré la Constitution, les accusés ont régulièrement déclaré qu'ils formaient une race et un peuple distincts avec une langue, une culture et une patrie propres". Outre Murat Bozlak, président du HADEP, Mehmet Satan, vice-président et Hamit Geylani, secrétaire-général, figurent inculpés parmi les dirigeants du HADEP, Ishak Tepe, Mehmet Zeynettin Unay, Melik Aygul et Ali Riza Yurtsever. Ils sont placés en détention depuis le 12 février.
 La première procédure concernant HADEP a été entreprise à la suite du congres du parti en juin 1996 à Ankara. Le drapeau turc avait alors été descendu et remplacé par la bannière du PKK par un jeune militant. Murat Bozlak et Hikmet Fidan, président de la section à Istanbul, avait été condamnés par la Cour de Sûreté d'État d'Ankara à 6 ans de prison pour avoir "apporté assistance aux membres d'une organisation illégale de terreur séparatiste". Quant à Faysal Akcan, la personne qui avait hissé la bannière, il a été condamné de 22 ans et 6 mois de prison. (CILDEKTF, le 26/3/1998)


 Après le contrat de $430 millions avec le groupe franco-allemand Eurocopter pour la vente et la co-production en Turquie de 30 hélicoptères Cougar en février 1997, la vente en mars 1998 de missiles anti-chars français pour $441 millions et un contrat de $50 millions pour des dragueurs de mines français en septembre 1997, un contrat de $52 millions vient d'être signé vendredi 20 mars avec la firme italienne Agusta pour la vente de cinq hélicoptères AB-412. Selon les autorités, ces appareils seront utilisés dans le cadre de la lutte contre le crime organisé, la contrebande et l'émigration illégale vers les pays européens. (CILDEKTF, le 26/3/1998)


 Alors que la Cour de cassation rejette, mardi 24 mars, la requête formée par le Parti de la Prospérité (RP), dissous par décision de la Cour constitutionnelle turque, le Parti de la Masse Démocratique (DKP) se défend des accusations portées à son encontre. Le procureur de la Cour de cassation accuse le DKP "de porter atteinte à l'intégrité de la nation en protégeant, développant et diffusant des cultures et langues autres que la langue et la culture turque". Le président du DKP, Serafettin Elci, qui témoignait devant la cour, a déclaré que "désigner le peuple de l'Esst comme une masse sous le contrôle de PKK est une malheureuse évaluation. Le procureur contribue à la propagande du PKK par ses déclarations". (CILDEKTF, le 26/3/1998)


 Comme chaque année au 21 mars, la fête de Newroz a été célébrée par le peuple kurde. A cette occasion, les autorités turques avaient prévu d'organiser des festivités officielles, obligeant parfois le peuple y à prendre part, notamment à Siirt où le Premier ministre turc Mesut Yilmaz avait décidé de se rendre pour le Newroz. Les autorités ont procédé à des arrestations à Istanbul et fait des descentes de police dans les locaux de HADEP et de l'Association des droits de l'homme quelques jours avant la fête et des gouverneurs de certaines régions du Kurdistan n'ont pas permis des cérémonies de célébrations alternatives et d'autres comme à Urfa, Konya, Agri ont interdit de grandes festivités populaires.
 Des délégations étrangères venues d'Angleterre, d'Allemagne, de France, d'Italie, des Pays Bas et des pays scandinaves se sont rendues à Diyarbakir et dans la région pour observer le déroulement de la fête.
 Trois Italiens qui faisaient parti d'un groupe et de pacifistes européens, Dino Frisullo de l'association "Sans frontières" et deux étudiants, Giulia Chiarini et Marcello Musto, arrêtés lors d'une intervention de la police turque contre des milliers de personnes réunies pour fêter le nouvel an, ont été interrogés par la police avant de comparaitre devant un juge d'instruction qui a décidé lundi 23 mars de libérer deux Italiens et de garder en détention Dino Frisollo. Les Italiens sont accusés d'"instigation à la violence". L'intervention de la police turque à Diyarbakir a fait une trentaine de blessés et entraîné l'arrestation de 200 autres personnes. Par ailleurs, les autorités turques ont procédé à de nombreuses autres arrestations dans d'autres villes, comme à Van, Adana et Mersin.
 Les observateurs ont considéré que les festivités s'étaient déroulées dans un calme relatif puisqu'au cours des célébrations précédentes, 12 personnes avaient été tuées en 1991. En 1992, considérée comme l'année la plus sanglante de Newroz, il y avait eu 102 morts à Diyarbakir, Sirnak, Van et Hakkari et en 1993 il n'y a pas eu de célébrations. (CILDEKTF, le 26/3/1998)


 Les festivités de Newroz se sont déroulées dans une atmosphère de fêtes virtuelles en Turquie. Seules les célébrations autorisées étaient permises, chaque personne faisait l'objet de fouilles minutieuses à l'entrée des lieux désignés et toute personne habillée de couleurs kurdes (rouge, jaune et vert) était refusée.
 A Ankara, un groupe de manifestants désirant fêter le Newroz s'est rassemblé au Sihhiye Square et s'est dirigé vers Tandogan. La police a érigé des barricades à l'entrée de Tandogan et a fouillé les manifestants. Des journalistes portant caméras et pancartes étaient présents sur les lieux. Parmi ces derniers, Suna Bayraktar, reporter au magazine Kaldirac, a été placé en garde à vue pour avoir refusé de lâcher sa pancarte.
 3500 personnes participaient aux festivités d'Ankara. Après une minute de silence, le message de Murat Bozlak, président du Parti de la Démocratie (HADEP), incarcéré à la prison d'Elmadag a été lu à l'assemblée. Dans son message, Murat Bozlak déclarait que le Newroz était une fête pour tous les peuples. "Ce sont ces peuples privés de liberté et de paix qui allument ce feu. Nous partageons le même esprit avec tous les peuples du monde. C'est le jour pour entendre la voix du peuple et lutter pour la liberté" a-t-il ajouté.
 Newroz a été célébré à Istanbul par diverses manifestations. La police a désigné Kazlicesme comme lieu de célébration. 20 000 personnes y ont été rassemblées conjointement par le Parti de la Liberté et de la Solidarité (ÖDP), le HADEP, le Parti du Travail (Emek) et le Parti Socialiste du Travail. 10 000 officiers de police mais également de nombreux militaires y avaient été déployés. Les forces de sécurité ont placé en garde à vue les personnes qui étaient vêtues des couleurs rouge, jaune et vert.
 Izmir également était de fête. A Kusadasi, les journaux locaux et des chaînes de télévision ont été forcés par la police de diffuser et de publier des articles à propos de certaines activités de Newroz. Les festivités ont débuté à la place de la République d'Izmir sous étroite surveillance, les individus masqués et portant le drapeau du PKK ont été rapidement dispersés par le comité d'organisation dont le président Hacay Yilmaz a ouvert les festivités par un discours.
 La célébration du Newroz a commencé à Van par des activités organisées par le gouverneur provincial au parc de la Culture. Un groupe qui ne participait pas à ces activités s'est réuni devant les locaux de HADEP en dansant et allumant un feu sans autorisation préalable. Scandant des slogans en faveur d'Abdullah Ocalan, chef du Parti des Travailleurs du Kurdistan (PKK), ils se sont dirigés vers le parc municipal. La police, les militaires et deux hélicoptères qui suivaient le groupe se sont opposés aux manifestants. Trois policiers ont été blessés par des jets de pierre au cours de l'accrochage. Une fois dispersé, la police est intervenue contre d'autres manifestants qui s'étaient réunis à nouveau dans la même avenue. Au cours de la confrontation, 13 personnes ont été blessées et hospitalisées.
 A Diyarbakir, les festivités ont commencé à 7 h du matin. Des enfants ont allumé des feux de Newroz dans certaines banlieues, Batikent, Ziyapasa, Sento, Gursel et Dicle et 15 personnes ont été placées en garde à vue par les forces de police. Newroz y a été célébré sans incidents violents contrairement aux craintes.
 Sanliurfa a été la ville où il y a eu le plus de gardes à vue durant le Newroz. La tension s'est aggravée lorsque des groupes ont débordé des lieux de célébration désignés au préalable par le gouverneur. 36 personnes ont été arrêtées à la suite des événements.


 Ahmet Turk un ancien député du Parti de la Démocratie (DEP), et Abdullah Varli, ont été arrêtés mercredi 25 mars par la police anti-terroriste dans le cadre d'une procédure judiciaire engagée contre les sept dirigeants du parti de la Démocratie du Peuple (HADEP), dont son président Murat Bozlak, inculpés sous l'accusation d'être la branche politique du Parti des Travailleurs du Kurdistan (PKK). Après une garde à vue de 48 heures, Ahmet Turk et M. Varli ont été libérés le vendredi 27 mars.
 Lundi 30 mars, la police a procédé à de nouvelles interpellations à Ankara et trois autres dirigeants du HADEP, Sirri Sakik et Sedat Yurttas, deux anciens députés du parti de la Démocratie (DEP) et Feridun Yazar, l'ancien président du HEP (prédécesseur du DEP) l'un des avocats de Leyla Zana et du parti, ont été arrêtés par la police anti-terroriste, puis relâchés après leur garde-à-vue.
 Le parti de la Démocratie du Peuple (HADEP) a succédé au Parti de la Démocratie (DEP), dissous en 1994 par la cour constitutionnelle. (CILDEKTF, le 1/4/1998)


 Au cours de la réunion des ministres de la Ligue Arabe au Caire, une résolution demandant à la Turquie de revoir sa coopération avec Israël a été adoptée le vendredi 27 mars 1998. La Ligue a également appelé à ce que ses membres réexaminent leurs contrats avec les compagnies qui prennent part à la construction des barrages turcs sur le Tigre et l'Euphrate et a déploré que la Turquie continue cette construction sans concertation la Syrie ou l'Irak. (CILDEKTF, le 1/4/1998)


Four French dart players, in Turkey to attend an international championship, were interrogated Sunday night for "insulting Turkey," Anatolia news agency reported on March 23, 1998.
 The four dart players sang loudly during their flight from Paris to Istanbul earlier in the day and their songs included "insults to Turkey," Anatolia quoted witnesses as saying.
 On arrival in Istanbul, a pilot of the Turkish Airlines plane filed a complaint against the four. Insulting Turkey publicly is a crime under the Turkish law.


A Turkish court on March 23 decided the leader of a small right-wing political party charged with slandering the powerful military could face up to 30 years in jail.
 The court's judges said they had decided to take five cases against Hasan Celal Güzel and combine them into one trial. Güzel faced up to six years on each charge.
 Güzel, the leader of the Rebirth Party (YDP), is accused of "Slandering and weakening the state's armed forces and the government in speeches he made.
 Güzel denied the charges. "This (trial) diminishes respect for Turkey and becomes a black mark in its history," he said.


 The National Assembly decided on March 23, 1998, to extend the state of emergency in southeastern Turkey for another four months starting on March 30 in a bid to fight against PKK.
 Six provinces, namely, Diyarbakir, Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Tunceli and Van, are under the extended emergency rule. The extension was proposed by the Prime Ministry and approved by the parliament.
 Emergency rule has been imposed in Turkey's nine southeastern provinces since 1987, giving soldiers and police more extensive powers of arrest and detention in the fight against the PKK. Last October, three provinces were excluded from the list.


According to RSF, on 20 March 1998, Deputy Chief of Staff Cevik Bir notified journalists for three different daily newspapers that they were banned from covering any events organized by the army: press conferences, visits to military sites or interviews with members of the armed forces.
 The journalists affected by this ban are Muharrem Sarikaya of Hürriyet, Yalcin Dogan of Milliyet and Mehmet Ali Birand of Sabah.
 The military claim that these measures were taken after several articles containing "false information" which breached
"territorial integrity" were published.


 Sanar Yurdatapan, music composer and human rights activist, released on March 26, 1998, the following statement in Washington, D.C.:
 "I accuse the Turkish General Staff and namely Deputy Chief of Staff, General Cevik Bir. He must be tried before a court of law," says composer and human rights activist Sanar Yurdatapan.
 "Instead of investigating the perpetrators of the Guclukonak massacre and bringing them to justice, he instead actively works to cover up the role of security forces and tries to silence us, the peace activists."
 The Guclukonak Massacre: On January 15, 1996, 11 Kurdish villagers were killed when their minibus was attacked and burned. Blaming PKK guerrillas, the Turkish General Staff flew in diplomats and journalists to view the carnage and discredit recent PKK ceasefire overtures.
 Independent investigators determined the villagers had been attacked by security forces supported by U.S.-supplied helicopters. Turkish officials refused to investigate the incident further. Sanar Yurdatapan participated in investigations by Turkish and international rights monitors, professionals and European parliamentarians.
 He has helped produce a video which documents the investigation and includes eyewitness accounts
 Because of these activities, Sanar Yurdatapan, together with lawyer Ercan Kanar (President of the Human Rights Association - Istanbul) and Munir Ceylan (Ex-President of Petrol-Is, Oil Workers Union) were sentenced to 10 months imprisonment under Article 159 of the Turkish Penal Code for insulting the Army.
 Their convictions were a direct result of General Bir's documented complaint to the Ministry of Justice about their investigation into the Guclukonak incident. The State prosecutor's charges even included direct quotations from General Bir's memorandum.
 Yurdatapan later on briefed Members of Congress, State Department officials, non-governmental organizations and the media in the United States.
 He presented evidence, including eyewitness testimonies in documentary videos, that Turkish security forces perpetrated the killings and that General Bir and the Turkish General staff actively sought to cover up the military's involvement.  Yurdatapan concludes with a clear declaration: "The illegal secret organization within the security forces must be uncovered and brought to justice before the courts. The Susurluk scandal cannot be covered up by shifting the agenda to focus upon 'the secular struggle against Islamic fundamentalism.' We want a clean army."


 A Kurdish rebel prisoner died on March 27, 1998, two days after setting himself on fire in a nationalist protest in a jail in western Turkey.
 Fikri Baygeldi, 26, had set himself alight in Canakkale jail to protest at the "oppression of the Kurdish people."
 Another guerrilla who set herself on fire in the same prison during last Newroz celebrations marking the Kurdsih new year, a traditional time of Kurdish nationalist protest, was in serious condition, Ülkede Gündem reports.


 Communiqué de presse des Reporters Sans Frontières, 19 mars 1998:
 "Inacceptable! deux ans pour en arriver là !..." : c'est avec ces mots que la mère de Metin Göktepe a accueilli l'annonce du verdict. Le 19 mars, cinq des onze policiers accusés d'avoir battu à mort Metin Göktepe, reporter du quotidien d'extrême gauche Evrensel, sont condamnés à sept ans et demi de prison pour homicide involontaire par la cour d'assises d'Afyon (ouest du pays). Les six autres fonctionnaires de police sont acquittés. La partie civile a annoncé qu'elle fera appel.
 Metin Göktepe, reporter du quotidien d'extrême gauche Evrensel, a été battu à mort par des policiers dans l'enceinte du complexe sportif d'Eyüp à Istanbul le 8 janvier 1996, alors qu'il couvrait les obsèques de deux détenus tués lors de la répression d'une mutinerie dans une prison d'Istanbul.
 Sous la pression de l'opinion publique et des médias, le procès des onze policiers accusés d'avoir assassiné Metin Göktepe s'est ouvert en octobre 1996 à Aydin (600 km au sud-ouest d'Istanbul). Les autorités se sont montrées réticentes à collaborer pleinement avec la justice. Parallèlement, les témoins oculaires et la famille de Metin Göktepe ont fait l'objet de pressions tout au long de la procédure judiciaire. Finalement, pour des raisons de "sécurité", le procès a été déplacé à Afyon (environ 600 km au sud d'Istanbul).
 Le 24 janvier 1997, les policiers mis en cause effectuent leur déposition devant le tribunal d'Eyüp. Ils déclareront par la suite qu'elles ont été obtenues sous la contrainte et la torture.
 Après que les onze policiers se sont livrés à la justice début août 1997, le groupe ne figurait au complet dans le box des accusés que le mois suivant. Le tribunal d'Afyon a rendu la liberté à quatre des neuf policiers incarcérés.
 Le 6 novembre, le président du tribunal a demandé à être déchargé de ce dossier en évoquant le fait que des organisations turques et étrangères s'efforçaient de faire pression sur le tribunal. Ainsi, c'est sous une nouvelle présidence qu'une reconstitution des faits a été organisée à Eyüp le 5 janvier 1998.
 Le 13 février, le procureur de la cour d'assises d'Afyon a requis des peines de prisons de huit à quinze ans pour les six policiers sur les onze accusés encore en détention.
 Après l'annonce du verdict, Reporters sans frontières (RSF) considère que ce jugement est inique et inacceptable. L'organisation rappelle que le Premier ministre Mesut Yilmaz avait déclaré solennellement que le déroulement et le verdict du procès Göktepe seraient un test pour la Turquie en matière de droits de l'homme. Mais tout indique au contraire que la Turquie n'a pas changé. Des fonctionnaires de la police ou de l'armée bénéficient d'une certaine clémence devant la loi par rapport aux citoyens ordinaires. RSF demande que des hauts fonctionnaires de la police, qui ont été mis en cause dans le meurtre de Metin Göktepe, soient également traduits devant la justice.
 A l'heure de l'annonce du verdict plus que clément du procès Göktepe, la police investissait les locaux du journal prokurde Ülkede Gündem à Istanbul. Quatre journalistes ont été interpellés au cours de l'opération.


 Turkisy Daily New reports, March 18, 1998:
 The Ankara State Security Court's (DGM) Chief Prosecutor's Office sued seven executives of the People's Democracy Party (HADEP) on the grounds that they were "the executives of the political wing of the outlawed armed gang, the Kurdistan Workers' Party [PKK]," demanding a minimum of 22 years 6 months of imprisonment for each.
 In the indictment brief, it was emphasized that the aim of the Constitution was to preserve the unity of the state as well as theintegrity of the country and its people. It was also stated that the Constitution rejects racism, and that the fact of being a Turkish citizen, and not race, was used as the basis of Ataturk's nationalism.
 The indictment continued: "In spite of the clear statements of the Constitution, the accused continuously assert that they are a separate race, a separate people, with their own separate language, culture and motherland and thereby function in HADEP, which is understood from the evidence to be the political wing of the PKK, to damage Turkish national unity and theindivisibility within her territory." It was stated that the activities and discourses of the PKK and HADEP were along parallel lines.
 In the indictment, it was stated that the PKK was an illegal armed gang involved in heroin smuggling in order to provide income to themselves as well as the killing of many citizens, including those of Kurdish origin and security officers.
 The indictment stated: "Following the evidence, it was understood that HADEP was an organization under the total control and supervision of the outlawed PKK and that the PKK organized its front formation efforts, to which it grants great importance, via HADEP."
 In the last part of the indictment, it is reiterated that HADEP is the political wing of the PKK, and the seven accused, Murat Bozlak, Mehmet Satan, Ishak Tepe, Mehmet Zeynettin Unay, Hamit Geylani, Melik Aygul and Ali Riza Yurtsever, along with the other accused who could not be captured, are alleged to be the executives of the political wing of the PKK. Maximum security imprisonment penalties of not less than 22 years and six months were sought for the accused.
 The Ankara DGM Chief Prosecutor's Office sent one copy of the indictment and its related briefs to the Court of Appeals Chief Prosecutor's Office, with the demand that the necessary legal action concerning HADEP be taken.
 The first lawsuit concerning HADEP was issued after the party's controversial congress in June 1996 in Ankara, during which the Turkish flag was removed from where it was hung, and a PKK banner was put in the same place. Following the incident, HADEP leader Murat Bozlak and the then Istanbul branch Chairman Hikmet Fidan were sentenced by the Ankara DGM No. 1 to six years of imprisonment on the grounds that they had "assisted the members of the outlawed separatist terror organization." Faysal Akcan, the person who hung the PKK banner, was sentenced to 22 years and six months of imprisonment on the charge of "membership in an outlawed terror organization."
 The court also ruled that an application should be made to the Court of Appeals Chief Prosecutor's Office with the demand that the relationship between the PKK and HADEP be investigated.


29 people, including members of the Italian delegation, appeared in front of the state prosecutor on the 23rd of March, after being detained during Newroz celebrations in Diyarbakir on the 21st of March.
 While 5 members of the Italian delegation are released after two days in custody, Peace Association member Dino Frisullo is reported to be arrested.
 On the 22nd of March an official from the Italian consulate in Izmir went to Diyarbakir in order to meet the local governor and chief of police. The Italian Foreign Ministry reacted strongly, demanding the immediate release of Dino Frisullo who has been placed in solitary confinement in Diyarbakir prison. Frisullo relayed a message through his lawyers that if he was not transferred he would launch a hunger strike. The arrest has led to protest in Italy.
 Italian journalist Dino Frisulla, one of the delegation members who went to Kurdistan to observe Newroz celebrations, is arrested on the 23rd of March in the Diyarbakir State Security Court on a charge of "inciting the people to hostility by emphasing differences of religion, language and race."
 Legal observers said the court`s decision was political and that
the formal arrest was unjustified.
 Italian journalist Dino Frisulla was taken to Diyarbakir E Type Prison had been placed in a one-person cell in Block 17, and that his demand to be transferred to a block where he could meet his human needs had been turned down by the prison authorities. It is reported that in the case of Frisullo`s demand is not accepted he will go on hunger strike.
 The general secretary of the Italian foreign ministry, Umberto Vattani, informed a Turkish diplomat summoned to the ministry of their anxiety and demanded the immediate release of Frisullo. 25 members of foreign delegations were questioned until late in the evening of the 23rd of March before being released.
 On the 24th of March 43 members of delegations from Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland and France
were taken by police from the Kervansaray hotel in Diyarbakir.
 Italians Marcello Musto and Gulia Chiarini, who were released on the 23rd of march, were deported when arrived in Istanbul.
 Meanwhile, in Van, 4 people detained during Newroz celebrations have been remained in custody. Abdulkerim Aslan, Nihat Abi, Emin Aslan and Yakup Girses were formally arrested on charges of taking part in an illegal demonstration and of resisting police.


 The New York Times, March 13, 1998:
 In one of Turkey's most closely watched human rights cases, a provincial court has acquitted 10 police officers accused of torturing a group of young people who were arrested for political crimes in 1995.
 A three-judge panel in the western town of Manisa issued a brief statement on Wednesday saying the defendants had been absolved because "definitive and convincing evidence for the torture accusations could not be found." Lawyers for the young people said they would appeal to a higher court in Ankara.
 "Justice triumphed in the end," Manisa police chief Kemal Iskender said. But Murat Akbay, a leader of the center-left People's Republican Party who has supported the youths, said the verdict "gives encouragement to those who are involved in torture." The issue of torture and abuse in Turkish prisons is often cited by Europeans and others who assert that Turkey cannot be considered a fully functioning democracy. When leaders of European Union nations met in December and decided not to act on Turkey's application for membership, Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker said, "It cannot be that the representatives of a country in which torture is still going on can sit at the table of the European Union."
 Officials of several foreign governments have cited the Manisa case as a key test of whether Turkish judges feel strong or independent
enough to discipline abusive police officers.
 The 14 "Manisa children," as they are known, were in their teens and early 20's when they were arrested and charged with membership in a subversive leftist organization. They said their only offenses
were hanging posters and reading magazines critical of the government.
 In the hours after their arrest, two lawyers arrived at the Manisa police station and, through an error, were allowed to enter the detention area. They later said they had seen some of the young people naked and apparently suffering from serious abuse.
 Many defendants in political trials in Turkey say they have been mistreated while in pre-trial detention, but the Manisa case has been taken more seriously than others because there was eyewitness testimony.
 Eleven of the 14 young people were convicted of political crimes and sentenced to prison terms of up to 12 years. Their convictions were later overturned, and attention shifted to their charges against police officers.
 A prosecutor refused to charge the officers with torture, and asserted that they were guilty only of "mistreating arrested persons."
 Judges were transferred several times during the case, and hearings were held in a small courtroom that often seemed to be on the edge of chaos. At a tumultuous hearing in October, judges refused to order the officers to appear in court so their accusers could identify them.
 As the officers left the courthouse after the verdict on Wednesday, one lawyer for the young people, Pelin Erda, shouted after them: "Will you be able to sleep at night?"
 The chief human rights official in the Clinton Administration, Assistant Secretary of State John Shattuck, recently called the Manisa case one of Turkey's three most important human rights cases.
 "If convictions occur in these cases," Shattuck said in a Washington speech, "this will send a clear message that abusers will pay a heavy price."
 A verdict in another of the cases Shattuck cited, in which police officers are charged with beating to death a journalist named Metin Goktepe in 1996, could come as early as next week in the town of Afyon.
 "I am afraid that the decision in Afyon may be affected by the Manisa decision," said Sabri Ergul, a lawyer representing the Manisa young people who is also a member of Parliament. "The government has sent a message that it does not want to see police torturers imprisoned."
 "No one has the right to force Turkey to hang its head in shame before the civilized world," Ergul said. "This decision harms the respectability of Turkey, where criminal gangs operate freely. We will continue to raise our voices against it."


 Reuters, March 6, 1998
 Turkish Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz has compared the German approach to European Union expansion with Adolf Hitler's "Lebensraum" plans for German settlement of eastern Europe, the Financial Times said on Friday.
  Yilmaz, in comments that highlighted Turkish bitterness over its exclusion from a list of countries earmarked for entry to the 15-nation grouping, accused the EU of discriminating against Ankara. He blamed the German government in particular for Turkey's omission.
  "The Germans continue the same strategy as before. They believe in Lebensraum," Yilmaz said, according to the newspaper.
  "That means the central and eastern European countries are of strategic importance for Europe and for Germany as their backyard," he said.
  The Financial Times said Yilmaz's charges were likely to provoke fury in Bonn because of the connotations of the word "Lebensraum" -- Adolf Hitler's policy of aggressive expansion eastwards to create "living space" for the German people.


 The recent hunger strikes have once again brought onto the agenda the problems in prisons. A report prepared by the Human Rights Association (IHD) in respect of the prisons in Turkey has claimed that the poor conditions in prisons have led to deaths. It is claimed by IHD in its February 1998 report that a total of 44 convicts died in 1996 and at least 10 in 1997. The IHD report further claims that 128 convicts died in prisons due to various reasons between 1981 and 1995. It is also claimed that there are nearly 60,000 detainees in 562 prisons, of whom 10,000 are alleged to be political detainees.
 The report claims that the newly built cell system consisting of one-, two-, four- or six-person cells in dimensions of two-by-four or four-by-five meters causes problems in the prisons. It is claimed that besides the difficulty of living in these cells, convicts cannot meet with other convicts, effectively putting an end to social activities in prisons. It is claimed that prisons with this type of cell systems are used only for political convicts.
 The report claims that sick convicts face serious health problems because of insufficient health equipment. Citing Justice Minister Oltan Sungurlu's statement that 25,149 of nearly 60,000 convicts have health problems, the report claims that the figure is actually higher. It claims that convicts face various problems when they are taken to the hospital. It is alleged that handcuffs are not removed during medical treatment and that they cause problems in blood circulation when they are on for long time.
 It is claimed in the research conducted by IHD and the Human Rights Foundation (IHV) that 37 types of torture are applied during the interrogation of detainees. The IHD-IHV research claims that the detention period is sometimes extended from four days to seven days and from seven to 10 days in the area under emergency rule. It is claimed that 190 people lost their lives in 1996 and 114 in 1997 in unsolved murders and torture.
 The report alleges the censorship of books, cassettes or letters sent to convicts. It is also claimed that letters or cards are opened and read or arbitrarily delayed, and that magazines, radio, TV sets or walkmans are not allowed. The report claims that articles, poems or books written by convicts are arbitrarily prevented from going outside.
 The IHD report goes on to claim that relatives who do not have the same last name as the convicts are not allowed to enter prisons for visit. It is claimed that since religious marriages are widespread in rural areas, spouses of convicts are not allowed to visit since they do not have marriage certificates. Finally, the report claims that the food brought by convicts' relatives due to the expensive cost of food in prison is not allowed inside.


 Reuters reports, March 8, 1998:
 Police used batons and teargas on Sunday to disperse hundreds of people attending a Women's Day demonstration in
Istanbul backed by Turkey's main Kurdish party.
 Large numbers of police and demonstrators were injured in the clash in the central Taksim square, Anatolian news agency said. Arrests were made, but it was not clear how many.
 "This is an illegal demonstration," a police officer using a loud-hailer told the crowd of some 600 from behind lines of riot police and armoured cars. A helicopter hovered overhead.
 "There are some provocateurs among you who are using Women's Day to start trouble with the police," he said.
 The demonstrators, many of them wearing the traditional Kurdish colours of red, green and yellow, threw sticks and stones when riot police charged and fired teargas canisters.  The demonstrators dropped banners and flags supporting the People's Democratic Party (HADEP), Turkey's main Kurdish political group, and ran into side streets, pursued by police who began house-to-house searches in the lanes of the area.
 A crowd of demonstrators smashed car windows and threw stones at a nearby police station.
 "Long live March 8," read one banner in Turkish and Kurdish. "Stop torture in detention," said another in Turkish.
 Elsewhere in Istanbul, a larger meeting for Women's Day passed without incident.
 Police turned back a convoy of six buses carrying women from Ankara and Istanbul to a Women's Day march in Diyarbakir, capital city of the mainly- Kurdish southeast, at the border of Diyarbakir province, a security forces official told Reuters.
 A march in the city took place under close police watch and dispersed peacefully, witnesses said.


 March 12, 1998:
 Thousands of protesters took to Istanbul's streets on March 12 to mark the third anniversary of fatal riots in an impoverished district. Some 7,000 people, mostly from far left-wing and pro-Kurdish groups, marched through the Gazi neighbourhood to commemorate the killing of at least 17 people in disturbances in 1995.
 Relatives of the those killed in 1995 carried red carnations and photographs of their loved ones at the head of the march.
 Angry residents clashed with police in riots beginning on March 12, 1995, after unknown gunmen shot dead two people in attacks on Alevi coffee houses in Gazi. Television pictures at the time showed police firing into the rioting crowd.
 "Don't let the Gazi murderers walk free," said a banner paraded near the community centre, where portraits were hung of sacred Alevi religious figures. Alevis, members of a heterodox sect, are sometimes at odds with Turkey's majority Sunni Moslems.
 Three years after the deaths, the trial of eight policemen accused of involvement in the killing of seven people in the riots has yet to end.
 Hundreds of Turkish riot police, many armour-clad "robocops," waited at a distance as the demonstrators filed along the streets towards the cemetery of those killed in 1995.


 IFEX reports, March 28, 1998:
 Representatives of CPJ (Committee to Protect Journalists) and the Press Council of Turkey urged Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz to accelerate pending reforms of Turkish press laws and to request an immediate review of 12 cases of imprisoned reporters and editors, who the two groups say have been convicted on the basis of their work as journalists.
 Press Council Chairman Oktay Eksi and CPJ Executive Director William A. Orme, Jr. asked the Yilmaz government to give the highest priority to the release of these journalists as a sign of its continued commitment to press freedom.
 The 12 imprisoned Turkish journalists discussed with Prime Minister Yilmaz are:
 Ismail Besikci, imprisoned since 13 November 1993:
 Besikci, a prominent scholar and author of numerous books and articles on the Kurds in Turkey, was arrested and charged with violating the Anti-Terror Law for an article he wrote in the now- defunct dailies "Yeni Ulke" and "Ozgur Gundem" and for books on the subject. By the end of 1997, he had been sentenced to more than 100 years in prison, with additional charges pending against him.
 Hasan Ozgun, "Ozgur Gundem", imprisoned since 9 December 1993:
 Ozgun's imprisonment was consistent with a pattern of official harassment of "Ozgur Gundem." Ozgun, Diyarbakir correspondent for "Ozgur Gundem", was taken into custody during a police raid on the paper's Diyarbakir bureau and charged under Article 168 of the Penal Code, with membership in the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK). He was sentenced to 12 years and five months in prison. Kemal Sahin, "Ozgur Gundem", imprisoned since November 1995:
 Sahin, former editor-in-chief of "Ozgur Gundem", was arrested and charged with membership in the outlawed PKK. His prosecution and imprisonment conforms to a pattern of harassment against "Ozgur Gundem."
 Serdar Gelir, "Mucadele", imprisoned since 25 April 1994:
 Gelir, Ankara bureau chief for the now-defunct weekly magazine "Mucadele", was arrested for allegedly belonging to an illegal organization. He was arrested after covering an opposition rally for "Mucadele." He filed a story on the event. He was sentenced to more than 12 years.
 Mehmet Cakar, "Partizan Sesi", imprisoned since 13 February 1995:
 Cakar, Izmir bureau chief of the leftist monthly "Partizan Sesi", was arrested and charged with membership in an outlawed organization. The prosecution based its case on the fact that Cakar had distributed copies of "Partizan Sesi" and had allegedly met with members of an outlawed organization. In court, Cakar denied the latter accusation. He was sentenced to 12 years and six months.
 Bulent Oner, "Atilim", imprisoned since 15 June 1995:
 Oner was taken into custody during a police raid on the newspaper's Mersin bureau on 15 June 1995. He was charged on 24 June 1995 with membership in the outlawed Marxist-Leninist Communist Party (MLKP), an accusation he denies. Government investigators allegedly found numerous unspecified "documents" linking Oner to the MLKP. Oner was convicted and sentenced to 12 years and six months.
 Ibrahim Cicek, "Atilim", imprisoned since 15 March 1996:
 Cicek, the editor-in-chief of the leftist weekly "Atilim", was charged with membership in an illegal organization. According to his attorney, the only evidence against Cicek was his affiliation with "Atilim", which prosecutors asserted was an organ of the MLKP, making Cicek allegedly a leader of the banned organization. He was also accused of ordering an armed assault on the offices of an ultra-right-wing party in Istanbul; the prosecutor's evidence was a story in "Atilim" on 23 March 1997, about the assault. Cicek said that he was tortured by police while in custody. He was sentenced to 15 years (see IFEX alerts dated 19, 21 and 26 March 1996).
 Bulent Sumbul, "Ozgur Halk", imprisoned since 24 April 1995:
 Sumbul, a reporter in the Diyarbakir bureau of the pro-Kurdish monthly magazine "Ozgur Halk", was arrested during a police raid on the magazine's Diyarbakir bureau and charged under the Anti- Terror Law for allegedly aiding the PKK. Prosecutors accused him of "being the leader of an organizational cell, taking an active role in an illegal organization, [and] acting as liaison for militants in rural and urban areas." Sumbul denied the charges. He was convicted and sentenced to three years and nine months.
 Sadik Celik, "Kurtulus", imprisoned since 23 December 1995:
 Celik was detained and formally charged with membership in the outlawed revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C). The state's case rested almost exclusively on his activities as Zonguldak bureau chief for "Kurtulus." Celik was accused of conducting "seminars" for the DHKP-C in the paper's office, of publishing reports in "Kurtulus" which were allegedly DHKP/C "propaganda", and of distributing "Kurtulus" in Zonguldak. Celik was sentenced on 17 October 1996 to 12 years and six months.
 Asaf Sah, "Kurtulus", imprisoned since 4 January 1996:
 Sah, an Antakya reporter for "Kurtulus", was imprisoned as part of a pattern of official harassment against the magazine. Sah was convicted under Article 169 of the Penal Code for aiding an outlawed organization. He was sentenced on 16 April 1996 to three years and nine months.
 Ayten Ozturk, "Kurtulus", imprisoned since 13 October 1997:
 Ozturk, the publisher and editor of "Kurtulus", was charged with membership in the DHKP-C under Article 168/1 of the Penal Code. Ozturk surrendered to the court on 13 October 1997. The main evidence cited at her trial was her publication and distribution of an edition of "Kurtulus." She was convicted on 24 December 1997 and sentenced to 22 years and five months.
 Haluk Gerger, imprisoned since 26 January 1998:
 Gerger, a political scientist and writer, was jailed in Gudul Prison following the Court of Cassation's ratification of a one-year sentence imposed by the Court of Appeals in December 1997. Gerger was convicted under Article 7 of the Anti-Terror Law. The charged was based on a 15 December 1993, article he wrote in "Ozgur Gundem" about the PKK. He was also fined 208 million Turkish lira for the article.


 Les établissements pénitentiaires turcs connaissent de nouveaux troubles. Le mardi 31 mars, des détenus en révolte retenaient plus de 40 gardiens et le directeur adjoint de la prison de haute sécurité d'Umraniye à Istanbul en otages. 11 gardiens étaient également retenus à la prison de Bursa, 6 autres à celle de Sakarya et 2 autres à Aydin. Les établissements d'Ankara, de Canakkale et de Bergama prenant pareillement part au mouvement, 10 prisons au total s'associaient au mouvement de révolte.
 Les détenus se plaignent des mauvaises conditions de détention et surtout de la brutalité policière, notamment lors des transferts. Les détenus révoltés demandent que le ministère de la Justice renonce à transférer des détenus et abandonne toute tentative d'isolement des prisonniers en cellules individuelles.
 Dans les prisons turques, les détenus vivent ensemble dans des dortoirs par groupes de 10 à 60. Selon les autorités, le refus de ces derniers réside dans le fait que ces conditions permettent la formation des groupes à l'intérieur de la prison, les règlements de compte meurtriers entre membres d'organisations rivales y étant d'ailleurs chose fréquente.
 Les autorités désignent également deux organisations de gauche illégales, le Parti et le Front Révolutionnaires de Libération Populaire (DHKP-C) et l'Armée de Libération des Ouvriers et Paysans de Turquie (TIKKO) d'être à l'origine de cette série d'actions coordonnées.
 Le mercredi 1 avril, à la suite d'un accord avec le procureur d'Istanbul, Ferzan Citici, les représentants des détenus ont décidé de libérer tous les otages.
 Selon le ministre de la Justice, Oltan Sungurlu, 55 membres du personnel de prison étaient retenus en otages par 350 sur 751 membres du DHKP-C.
 Le ministre a déclaré qu'il ne comprenait pas les raisons de ce mouvement contestataire et a rassuré les familles qui s'étaient attroupées devant les portes de prisons qu'aucune intervention militaire n'aura lieu pour éviter toute effusion de sang.
 En janvier, plus d'une centaine de détenus kurdes appartenant majoritairement au PKK et à la gauche révolutionnaire avaient observé une grève de la faim par rotation menée par le DHKP-C pendant 55 jours dans plusieurs prisons de Turquie pour protester notamment contre les conditions de détention.
 En 1997, sept détenus avaient été tués par la police lors d'une émeute dans une prison d'Istanbul. 10 autres prisonniers kurdes sont morts à la suite des incidents similaires en 1996 à la prison de haute sécurité de Diyarbakir.
 En juillet 1996, 12 détenus, membres d'organisations clandestines de gauche révolutionnaire, avaient trouvé la mort à l'issue d'une grève de la faim qui avait duré 69 jours, mouvement le plus grave qu'aient connu les prisons turques.
 La Turquie compte près de 600 prisons et quelque 60 000 personnes y sont incarcérées, dont 9 000 condamnés ou inculpés pour des actions à caractère politique.


 Un reportage de la BBC du 31 mars 1998 expose la situation tragique des réfugiés kurdes, pris au piège entre les autorités turques et irakiennes. Voici des extraits de ce reportage:
 ( ) Quatre ans après avoir fuit la Turquie, des milliers de réfugiés kurdes sont pris au piège au nord de l'Irak. Encerclés par des mines, ils sont forcés de vivre dans des installations de fortune.
 Bagdad les empêche d'aller vers le sud et des factions kurdes alliées de l'armée turque refusent de leur accorder le retour vers le nord. Environ 7 000 personnes se sont installées près d'une base militaire irakienne à Sheikhan. Le correspondant de la BBC, Roger Omaar est le premier journaliste à visiter le camp
 Même les besoins les plus élémentaires nécessaires à la vie humaine manquent. Pour simplement s'approvisionner en eau ou en bois, ils doivent quitter le camp et traverser les champs jonchés de mines. Inévitablement, certains sont malchanceux. Ces derniers mois, 16 personnes ont été blessées pour avoir marché sur des mines enfouies. Étant dépourvus de tout soutien médical, ils ont recours à des morceaux de bois et autres débris trouvés aux alentours pour reconstituer leur "vrais faux membres".
 Les Nations Unies et la Croix Rouge essayent de fournir les denrées de première nécessite aux réfugiés. Mais les relations avec l'Irak, suivies des sanctions infligées au pays par la communauté internationale rendent leur travail de plus en plus laborieux.
 Un médecin irakien et une infirmière allemande, mariée à un Kurde, elle-même réfugiée, sont les seules personnes autorisées à apporter assistance sur le terrain. "Je peux dire que le peuple kurde vit dans mon c ur et je veux rester avec eux, je veux les aider autant que je peux" a déclaré à la BBC l'infirmière Medea Mustafa.
 Cependant chaque jour de nouveaux obstacles apparaissent pour le "peuple oublié". Présumés avoir été kidnappés par des agents turcs, les époux de nombreuses femmes se sont évaporés du camp. "Pour parler des droits de l'homme il est essentiel d'avoir le statut d'être humain. Il est nécessaire d'avoir sa propre place et sa propre maison et de préserver sa propre identité" résume la triste existence des Kurdes de Turquie, Ali Ghan, leader du camp."


 Resit Kayran, who is on remand in Ankara Central Closed Prison, has not been released by the prosecution authorities despite the fact that he suffers from colon cancer. Kayran has had two surgical operations since 1994 and a great part of his intestines was removed.
 According to The Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (TIHV), Kayran had not found remedy despite these operations, on the contrary, he caught Hepatitis C because of unsterile surgery and unsanitary conditions of prison.
 TIHV emphasized on March 25 the critical health situation in most prisons in Turkey. Authorities do not act on grave healkth problems in prisons, which aggravate due to prison conditions, torture and successive health strikes.
 Recently, Osman Das, a prisoner who was arrested in January 1995 and sentenced to 12 years and 6 months by Konya SSC, died in a ward for prisoners at the Numune Hospital, Ankara, on 27 December. He had been diagnosed as having "colon cancer" and "Behcet's disease."


 A Turkish prosecutor, on March 31,charged nine members of the country's main legal Kurdish party with links to Kurdish rebels and demanded up to 7-1/2 years jail for each.
 Nine directors of an Istanbul branch of the Peoples' Democracy Party (HADEP) were accused of "aiding and abetting the outlawed separatist organization," a phrase used to refer to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militanty.
 A prosecutor had earlier ordered the release of three national HADEP leaders from custody after taking their testimonies, the agency said.
 Anti-terrorism police arrested HADEP members Sirri Sakik, Feridun Yazar and Sedat Yurttas Monday as they arrived at an Ankara security court to testify as part of an investigation into their party.
 HADEP and many of its members face prosecution in a nationwide crackdown on Kurdish political dissent.
 A prosecutor has called for the party itself to be outlawed for alleged ties to the PKK, fighting for Kurdish self-rule in the mainly Kurdish southeast of Turkey. Seven other HADEP leaders arrested last month face a minimum of 22-1/2 years in jail for allegedly acting as the political wing of the PKK.
 Turkey allows little dissent from parties campaigning for Kurdish rights.
 The European Union cited concerns over human rights and freedom of expression when it rejected Turkey's membership application last year.
 HADEP, formed to replace a Kurdish party outlawed in 1994, advocates a peaceful solution to the 13-year-old conflict with the PKK in which more than 27,000 people have been killed.

EN BREF/IN BRIE (TIHV - La Fondation des Droits de l'Homme de Turquie)

Le périodique Proleter Halkin Birligi, N°52, est confisqué par la CSE d'Istanbul pour propagande séparatiste.
La police arrête 19 étudiants d'université pendant qu'ils tiennent une conférence de presse à Istanbul et harcèlent également des journalistes.
Le procureur de la CSE d'Izmir ouvre un procès d'opinion contre sept intellectuels, dont les docteurs Yesim Islegen et Alp Ayan, l'avocat Mustafa Ufacik et l'écrivain Veysel Camlibel, pour avoir soutenu la publication d'une brochure intitulée Liberté à la pensée.
Le procureur de la République ordonne l'arrestation de l'ancien député RP Sevki Yilmaz qui se trouve actuellement en Allemagne.
Le Conseil supérieur de la Radio-Télévision (RTUK) décide d'interdire les émissions de la Show-TV le 24 mars.
La police arrête 12 personnes pour tenir une conférence de presse à Istanbul en vue de protester contre l'arrestation des journalistes des périodiques Kurtulus et Tavir. Parmi les détenus se trouvent certains membres du groupe musical Yorum.
La CSE d'Ankara condamne deux membres de TIKKO à des peines de prison jusque 12 ans et 9 mois. Une autre CSE à Adana condamne deux membres de DHKP/C jusque 12 ans et 6 mois.
Le médecin Eda Güven est inculpé par le procureur d'Incirliova pour avoir délivré un certificat confirmant la torture infligé un groupe de détenus politiques.
La CSE d'Ankara condamne Ferhat Yigit, âgé de 17 ans, à une peine de prison de 3 ans et 9 ans pour propagande du PKK.
La police disperse par usage de force une manifestation de la Confédération des employés des secteurs publics (KESK) à Ankara.
Le maire RP de Kayseri, Sükrü Karatepe est traduit devant la CSE d'Ankara pour ses déclarations contre la laïcité de l'Etat. Il risque une peine de prison jusque 4 ans et 6 mois.
Un éditorialiste du journal islamiste Selam, Aydin Koral est condamné par la CSE d'Istanbul à une peine de prison de 20 mois pour avoir critiqué "l'oligarchie militaire-laïque". La cour décide également de suspendre la publication du journal pour 15 jour.
A l'occasion de la Journée mondiale des femmes, des milliers des femmes et hommes des quartiers populaires d'Istanbul participent une manifestation organisée par le HADEP à la place de Taksim. L'intervention brutale de la police provoque des affrontements entre les forces de l'ordre et les manifestants et plusieurs personnes sont blessées de deux cotés. Les événements sont suivis par une série d'arrestations.
Le quotidien Gündem reporte qu'un détenu, Nezir Aslan, ait perdu l'équilibre de ses facultés en raison de la torture qu'il a subie à la prison de Burdur.
Le distributeur du journal Atilim, Temel Butoglu, déclare être torturé après son arrestation à Istanbul. D'autre part, deux journalistes, Mehmet Ali Aslan (Özgür Halk) et Özgür Selcuk (Alinteri) déclarent être forcés, pendant leur garde à vue, à devenir informateurs de la police.
La CSE d'Istanbul commence à juger neuf membres présumés du PKK. Deux inculpés risquent la peine capitale et les autres des peines de prison allant jusque 22 ans et demi.
L'ancien président de l'Institut kurde, Sefik Beyaz, est condamné par la CSE de Diyarbakir à un emprisonnement d'un an et une amende de TL 100 million pour avoir utilisé des chansons kurdes pendant sa campagne électorale en 1995.
L'écrivain du journal islamiste Akit, Yasar Kaplan est arrêté sur l'ordre du tribunal militaire de l'Etat-Major.
Le périodique Mücadele Birligi est confisqué par la CSE d'Istanbul pour propagande séparatiste et le périodique Odak pour éloge à une organisation illégale.
Le gouverneur de Mersin interdit les activités de l'Association pour la solidarité avec les familles des prisonniers (TAYDER).
Armenian Patriarch Karekin II died after a lengthy illness, the Patriarchate announces. The 71-year-old patriarch was being treated at the Yedikule Surp Pirgic Armenian Hospital.
The parliament of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus votes not to take part in negotiations in Brussels later this month on Cypriot membership in the European Union.
As Turkey's row with Germany escalates, Labor Minister Nami Cagana cancels a trip to Bonn because his Germany counterpart, Norbert Blum, was unwilling to hold more than a short meeting.
A minor air base in the Turkish Cypriot state will be upgraded to full military status if the Greek Cypriot government presses ahead with plans to militarize an air base on their part of the island, the Turkish leader warned.
Prime Minister Yilmaz charges that Germany is using "intolerable delaying tactics" in the EU which are aimed against Turkey. "The federal government (of Germany) is the architect of discrimination" against Turkey in the EU, Yilmaz tells
La CSE d'Izmir arrête le musicien kurde Abdulgafur Aksoy pour avoir chanté en kurde pendant la journée de la Femme à Aydin.
A Midyat, un groupe des parents de prisonniers politiques sont arrête par la police pendant leur grève de la faim dans le siège du parti du Travail (EMEP).
Le bureau du périodique Atilim à Istanbul est perquisitionné par la police et sept personnes à l'intérieur sont arrêtées.
La CSE d'Ankara condamne deux anciens députés DEP, Mehmet Emin Sever et Muzaffer Demir, à l'emprisonnement de jusque 11 mois et 20 jours pour propagande séparatiste. Le DEP avait été fermé le 16 juin 1994 par la CSE d'Ankara. Quatre anciens parlementaires -- Leyla Zana, Orhan Dogan, Selim Sadak et Hatip Dicle -- sont toujours dans la prison d'Ankara.
La CSE d'Ankara condamne 10 membres de l'Union des communistes révolutionnaires de Turquie (TIKB) à des peines de prison allant jusque 18 ans.
Un local dirigeant de HADEP, Seyfettin Celik, affirme avoir été torturé après son arrestation in Gaziemir (Izmir) à cause de la distribution des tracts du parti.
La grève de la faim des prisonniers politiques à la prison de Midyat se termine suite à un accord avec l'administration pénitentiaire.
La Cour de cassation ratifie la condamnation du syndicaliste Munir Ceylan à une peine de prison de deux ans et une amende de TL 600 mille pour un article qu'il avait écrit au journal Demokrasi sur les travailleurs et les Kurdes.
La Cour de cassation ratifie une peine de 13 mois contre le chef rédacteur du journal Gündem, Hüseyin Karatas, pour propagande séparatiste dans son recueil des poèmes intitule Dersim: Le chant d'une révolte.
La CSE d'Istanbul confisque les revue politiques Özgürlüge Yürüyüs, N°7, et Direnis pour propagande séparatiste et pour incitation à la désobéissance.
Le RTÜK décide d'interdire les émission de la TV Kanal 21 à Diyarbakir pour une durée de 15 jours.
Gündem rapporte qu'à Adana, Mehmet Yavuz, âgé de 18 ans, a été retrouvé mort au poste de police d'Adana le 13 mars 1998 à cause de la torture qu'il a subi pendant son interrogatoire.
La police fait une descente au domicile du comédien Aziz Akal à Istanbul et confisque son passeport. Pendant cette opérations, les passeports des membres du groupe de musique Yorum Irsad Aydin, Ozcan Senver, Fikriye Kilic et Inan Altin sont également confisqués. Toutes ces personnes se préparaient à participer un festival de fraternité qui devait se tenir à Genk (Belgique) le 21 mars 1998.
A Adana, onze policiers sont arrêtés dans le cadre d'une enquête liée à la mort du détenu Mehmet Yavuz pendant son interrogatoire.
Le procureur de la CSE d'Istanbul inculpe cinq journalistes du journal Kurtulus, y compris le rédacteur en chef Hamdi Kayisi, pour appartenance au DHKP-C. Le rédacteur en chef du Tavir, Aynur Cihan Alak, est également inculpé avec deux autres personnes. Chacun risque une peine de prison allant jusque 7 ans et demi.
Par une descente au bureau du parti pour la démocratie et la solidarité (ODP), la police arrête le président local du parti Fehmi Atmaca.
Un des plus grands poètes et écrivains vivants du pays, Can Yücel est condamné par un tribunal pénal d'Ankara à une peine de prison de 14 mois pour avoir insulté Demirel dans un discours à l'université.
Le rédacteur du quotidien Gündem Hüseyin Karatas est emprisonné à Istanbul pour purger sa peine de prison de 13 mois pour son livre intitulé Dersim: Le chant d'une révolte..
La CSE d'Istanbul condamne trois membres du DHKP/C à des peines de prison de jusque 29 ans et 2 mois.
Un tribunal militaire à Eskisehir condamne Osman Murat Ülke, président de l'Association Contre La Guerre d'Izmir (ISKD), à cinq mois pour désobéissance
Les forces de sécurité lancent une campagne d'intimidation et d'arrestation contre les Kurdes juste à la veille de la fête traditionnelle kurde Newroz. La police fait descentes aux bureau du HADEP et des journaux de gauche ou pro-kurde à Istanbul et arrête plusieurs personnes. Parmi les détenus se trouvent également le chef rédacteur de Özgür Halk, Veysel Dagdas, et le chef rédacteur de Gündem, Hayrettin Demircioglu.
L'éditeur de la maison d'édition Komal et l'écrivain kurde Recep Marasli, emprisonné depuis 13 mars 1997 malgré son état de santé grave, est mis en liberté après avoir purgé sa peine de prison.
l'Etat-major turc interdit à trois journalistes renommés, Mehmet Ali Birand (Sabah et Show TV), Yalcin Dogan (Milliyet et NTV) et Muharrem Sarikaya (Hürriyet) d'accéder aux garnisons militaire à cause des articles qu'ils avaient écrits sur l'armée.
A Istanbul, 21 jeunes ayant tenu une manifestation Istanbul en solidarité avec les jeunes condamnés pour une action de protestation dans l'Assemblée générale sont mis en état d'arrestation par un tribunal.
Une prisonnière kurde, Sema Yüce, s'immole dans la prison de Canakkale en protestation contre la répression sur le peuple kurde. Elle était condamnée à 22 ans et demi à la suite de son arrestation en 1992 pendant un conflit armée avec la guérilla kurde. Elle est immédiatement hospitalisée.
Une délégation internationale composée de représentants des organisations des droits de l'homme turque, espagnole, suédoise et allemande est interdite d'entrer dans la province de Tunceli.
La CSE d'Adana condamne cinq membres du PKK à la prison à perpétuité et 17 autres à des peines de prison allant jusque 12 ans et demi. Plus tard, l'emprisonnement à vie pour trois condamnés est commuée à une peine de prison de 16 ans et 8 mois car ils sont mineurs d'âge.
L'Assemblée nationale a décidé de prolonger l'état d'urgence pour une durée de quatre mois dans les provinces de Diyarbakir, Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Tunceli et Van.
Un tribunal pénal d'Istanbul condamne l'ancien membre du Parlement Hasan Mezarci à une peine de prison de trois ans pour avoir insulté Atatürk dans un discours.
Le procureur d'Istanbul inculpe 25 personnes arrêtées le 8 mars à Istanbul pendant une manifestation à l'occasion de la journée mondiale de la Femme. Ils risquent des peines de prison allant jusque 12 ans.
Le représentant de la revue Kaldirac en Allemagne, Mustafa Sayim est arrêté à l'aéroport d'Istanbul pendant qu'il part pour l'Allemagne.
Un prisonnier kurde, Fikret Baygeldi, âgé de 24 ans, s'immole dans la prison de Canakkale pour protestation contre la répression sur le peuple kurde. Il est sauvé par les autres prisonniers et hospitalisé.
Une représentation théâtrale de la pièce intitulée "La mort accidentelle d'un anarchiste" à Kahramanmaras par le groupe Ekin d'Ankara est interdite par la décision du gouverneur local.
La CSE d'Istanbul met en état d'arrestation dix membres présumés de l'Armée de libération ouvrière-paysanne de Turquie (TIKKO). Le même jour six jeunes membres de HADEP sont arrêtés par les forces de sécurité.
Deux distributeurs du quotidien Gündem, Sores Yuruk et Murat Emektar sont arrêtés à Izmir et soumis à la torture au poste de police.
La cour de cassation ratifié une peine de prison de 3 ans et demi à l'encontre d'un citoyen danois, Kemal Koc, pour avoir aidé le PKK. Torturé pendant sa garde à vue, Koc est actuellement sous le traitement médical au Danemark.
Le prisonnier kurde Fikret Baygeldi qui s'est immolé dans la prison de Canakkale en protestation contre la répression, est décédé dans l'hôpital.
Un tribunal pénal de Corum condamne neuf dirigeants locaux du parti du travail (EMEP) à des peines de prison de jusque 20 mois. Ces peines sont plus tard commuées à des amendes différentes.
Un tribunal pénal d'Urfa commende à juger 21 personnes, dont trois dirigeants syndicaux, arrêtées en 1996 pendant l'arrivée du train pour la paix. Les inculpés affirment avoir été soumis à la torture pendant leur interrogatoire.
Deux journalistes de la revue Guneyde Kardelen, Ismail Kilic et Nihat Buyukyayla, sont arrêtés à Antakya pour un article concernant une organisation illégale.
Deux revues politiques, Guneyde Kardelen et Direnis, sont confisquées par la décision de tribunal.
Le procureur de la CSE d'Ankara inculpte le journaliste Haluk Gerger, actuellement en prison, le professeur Yalcin Kucuk, le président du parti socialiste de Kurdistan (PSK), Mahir Sayin et Mehmet Canakci pour avoir participé à un débat à la télévision kurde Med-TV. Ils sont accusés d'avoir soutenu le PKK
La CSE d'Istanbul condamne deux journalistes de la revue Emek, l'éditeur Halit Keskin et le rédacteur Mehmet Canak, à une amende totale de 271 million de LT. Le tribunal décide également la fermeture due la revue pour sept jours.

Home Page